The Longbow Thread

The Longbow Thread

Postby Tyler Danann » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:01 am

For silent killing of zombies both center-fire and black powder weaponry will be like a beacon, possibly summoning the hordes!

The stealthy warrior of the zombie wastelands and urban cityscapes will wield a bow-weapon.

One of these will be the longbowmen.

It will penetrate a skull with ease meaning one dead zombie.

Become the silent death and you'll survive, as long as you can hit the target first time around! As I show in the pumpkin video, it's not an easy target to hit from 30 yards away...
Tyler Danann
Survivor

Re: The Longbow Thread

Postby CavWarrior » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm not sure that a bow would have the sufficient strength to penetrate a skull at range. A pumpkin isn't a good stand in for the human skull.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby redeyes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

There is also the issue of accuracy. A pumpkin is alot bigger target than a head and it isn't moving. Somebody like Lars Anderson might be able to fight zombies with a bow pretty well, but he has been training a specific technique for many years.
redeyes
Survivor

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:53 pm

I thought Lars Anderson was a wrestler from the 70's and 80's, he wrestled with his brothers Ole and Gene.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:54 pm

If anyone can hit a moving head, he can.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby redeyes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Bob wrote:I thought Lars Anderson was a wrestler from the 70's and 80's, he wrestled with his brothers Ole and Gene.

Different Lars Anderson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
redeyes
Survivor

Postby Tyler Danann » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 am

To those doubting the power of longbow, here's what it does against plate-armor which is much much stronger...

Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby redeyes » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:00 am

At short range I don't think anyone is doubting it. Long range is different. I think a bodkin pointed arrow powered by a bow with a heavy draw weight probably could. I still want to see suitable tests. And I imagine a headshot at long range is going to take many tries and some luck to produce.
redeyes
Survivor

Postby CavWarrior » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:40 pm

The video you posted basically confirms what we've said. At close range the arrow may penetrate adequately. But, that was also in a lab, using arrows specifically designed for the purpose, on a non-moving target, aimed properly for maximum result, using a device to launch the arrow with an unspecified speed. No one can honestly say that they can consistently get the same results in the real world.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Haiwayman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:13 pm

The long bowman of ancient times were used in numbers to rain down arrows at range. So the probability of critically hitting a target is greater.

I think the Mythbusters did an episode where they timed how long it would take to knocked the arrow, draw and fire at a ninja before the ninja could rush in and slash the archer. I believe the outcome was a dead archer. I can imagine in an apoc depending on the types of zombies, shambling or running, if they are the shamblers then archery would be ok. You'll have some time at least to fire off a couple of arrows before running away. If they are runners then stealth would be better than a bow and arrow.
Haiwayman
Hunter

Next

Return to Bows / Crossbows and other Ranged Weapons