The Longbow Thread

Re: The Longbow Thread

Postby Tyler Danann » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:34 am

Haiwayman wrote:The long bowman of ancient times were used in numbers to rain down arrows at range. So the probability of critically hitting a target is greater.

I think the Mythbusters did an episode where they timed how long it would take to knocked the arrow, draw and fire at a ninja before the ninja could rush in and slash the archer. I believe the outcome was a dead archer.

I didn't know there was even a myth of an archer doing such a thing against a ninja at close range. Any archer worth his salt would be throwing the bow at the attacker and switching to a bladed weapon.
I think they were telling porkies on that one :)
Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby Tyler Danann » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:37 am

Clout Shooting:

Longbow Gear

Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby Red Star » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 am

And that is why the shield was used for protection as well. ;)

Anyone trying to be stealthy and using a bow can be easily found, just like artillery. It has a definitive arc from its trajectory and pretty much points right back to the firing point. Except at pretty close range it would be too hard to get the head shot needed to put down a zombie. Even with the practice I've had with my recurve archery gear I would be more apt to slug it out instead. However, bows can definitely put more food on the table and quietly at that. That is the best reason for bow use, hands down.
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Haiwayman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Tyler Danann wrote:
I didn't know there was even a myth of an archer doing such a thing against a ninja at close range. Any archer worth his salt would be throwing the bow at the attacker and switching to a bladed weapon.

Exactly. Depending on the type of zombies, shamblers would give you some time to at least try for some head shots before they get in close. If they are runners like in "28 Days Later" or the new "Dawn of the Dead" you'll have a whole bunch of zombies running full tilt at you, might as well throw the bow at them and switch to a bladed weapon.
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby redeyes » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Tyler Danann wrote:
Haiwayman wrote:The long bowman of ancient times were used in numbers to rain down arrows at range. So the probability of critically hitting a target is greater.

I think the Mythbusters did an episode where they timed how long it would take to knocked the arrow, draw and fire at a ninja before the ninja could rush in and slash the archer. I believe the outcome was a dead archer.

As I was reading this post a razor sharp blade was suddenly pressed against my neck and a voice whispered in my ear "Turn around and you die." Then the voice directed me to type this: "A ninja would not fight an archer. Ninja are highly trained assassins and intelligence gatherers. Archers are foot soldiers and not worth a ninja's time except on specific intelligence gathering missions. If a mission required a ninja to kill an archer, the ninja would kill the archer at a place and time of the ninja's choosing and would not attack him in the open. For instance; while the archer was sleeping or in the bushes defacating." Then the voice said "Close your eyes and count to twenty slowly." I did as I was asked. I listened hard but heard no sound. I slowly opened my eyes and carefully looked around but saw no trace of the body the voice belonged to. He was gone. The next thing I heard was the intercom blaring "Code Blue on 6 south."
Suddenly a piece of paper floated down from the ceiling. The paper directed me to add this smilie on the end of the post. :mrgreen:
redeyes
Survivor

Postby Haiwayman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:27 am

Lol. I like your sense of humor. :D
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby Tyler Danann » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:35 am

Red Star wrote:And that is why the shield was used for protection as well. ;)

Anyone trying to be stealthy and using a bow can be easily found, just like artillery. It has a definitive arc from its trajectory and pretty much points right back to the firing point. Except at pretty close range it would be too hard to get the head shot needed to put down a zombie. Even with the practice I've had with my recurve archery gear I would be more apt to slug it out instead. However, bows can definitely put more food on the table and quietly at that. That is the best reason for bow use, hands down.

I'll agree to differ on that one RS. Some people are more suited to the CQB and others raining death from afar. :)
Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby Tyler Danann » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:37 am

Haiwayman wrote:
Tyler Danann wrote:

Exactly. Depending on the type of zombies, shamblers would give you some time to at least try for some head shots before they get in close. If they are runners like in "28 Days Later" or the new "Dawn of the Dead" you'll have a whole bunch of zombies running full tilt at you, might as well throw the bow at them and switch to a bladed weapon.

I'm always looking at the shambler-type scenario, it's more likely given the degradation of the times...
Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby Tyler Danann » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:39 am

redeyes wrote:
Tyler Danann wrote:

As I was reading this post a razor sharp blade was suddenly pressed against my neck and a voice whispered in my ear "Turn around and you die." Then the voice directed me to type this: "A ninja would not fight an archer. Ninja are highly trained assassins and intelligence gatherers. Archers are foot soldiers and not worth a ninja's time except on specific intelligence gathering missions. If a mission required a ninja to kill an archer, the ninja would kill the archer at a place and time of the ninja's choosing and would not attack him in the open. For instance; while the archer was sleeping or in the bushes defacating." Then the voice said "Close your eyes and count to twenty slowly." I did as I was asked. I listened hard but heard no sound. I slowly opened my eyes and carefully looked around but saw no trace of the body the voice belonged to. He was gone. The next thing I heard was the intercom blaring "Code Blue on 6 south."
Suddenly a piece of paper floated down from the ceiling. The paper directed me to add this smilie on the end of the post. :mrgreen:

The Quirkster cometh! :)
Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby redeyes » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:10 am

What is a quirkster? I read the Urban dictionary definition and it basically said something like a hipster. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your definition and the Urban dictionary definition are wildly different.
redeyes
Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Bows / Crossbows and other Ranged Weapons