20%
Standard Crossbows
No votes
Compound Crossbows
30%

Total votes : 10

Re: Bows and crossbows...

Postby Red Star » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Hit a rabbit once at about 30 yards in moonlight, but it wasn't moving. Even with all of the practice I've had over the years a moving head shot would be tough- even with slow zombies. The flexing of an arrow comes into play as well. Once they leave the bow they dip down then back up before going down again. It can mess around with your shots a good amount depending on the range. I think that is a key disadvantage that crosbows get along without.
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby LoneWolf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Bows and crossbows I'd feel unsafe with.

Can't get firearms here, so melee weapons and stealth would have to be the 'norm' in a ZA.

Guess a Scotsman and chips will be on the menu then ?!
Once more into the fray,
Into the last good fight I'll ever know,
Live and die on this day,
Live and die on this day.

-The Grey-
LoneWolf
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Haiwayman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Went to Jamaica for vacation and my daughter wanted to try archery at the resort we were staying at. So we signed up and tried archery for the first time. I must admit it was pretty fun. She really liked it. I think I'm gonna pick up archery as a father and daughter activity. We started with the recurve bow. I kind of like the old school recurve bow but i can see the benefit of the compound bow. It was difficult for her to hold the string back to aim with the recurve bow. I tried the compound bow at a local store when I got back from vacation and the weight of the string is much lighter when fully drawn. I think this would help her hold and aim.
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:24 am

How old is she? Starting off with a lighter recurve is always best, especially the ambidextrous ones. That way she can see which way is better suited for her. I started as a lefty when I was a kid, then bought my uncle's right hand gear to possibly trade off with a friend for some other goods. Long story short his wife whipped him out of it and I kept it all. Switched to right handed and found out I was much better off that way so I dumped the lefty compound(I HATED it!). Either way, get her something lighter for practice- I turned my niece and her fiancé on to recurve archery with my stuff and they LOVE it!

P.S.: They are also MUCH easier to restring than compound bows- recurves only take a minute or so while a compound means you are done for a while...
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Haiwayman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:15 pm

She's 9. Those are some good advice regarding recurve vs compound. I'll probably start her off with a light recurve and see how she progress with it.
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:44 am

9 is a good age, I was that old when I started archery at YMCA day camp. It can be a lot of fun, hope she enjoys it!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm actually planning on getting a compound bow here soon. I used to have a recurve but things happen and it's gone now. I've been shooting since I was young and always did well. I'd trust my life to my accuracy with it as much as I would anything.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Jirover » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 pm

I agree with some of your statements, I have had a ten point crossbow and sold it and bought Barnett preditor. The Barnett was cheaper and twice the bow, the ten point was. The ten point was older, yes it was heavier, slower, louder, much less kinetic energey . I will stick with my less than quality to make your list Barnett.
Jirover
Bait

Postby UnderDude » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:53 pm

Recurve, definitely.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:47 am

I have never shot a crossbow.