On the Road Again

Just getting from one place to another, or Living a Nomadic Life Style and everything in between

Re: On the Road Again

Postby ConSeannery » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:19 am

In high school I had the opportunity to spend a few weeks in Australia. Got to try kangaroo and crocodile meats. Roo meat was pretty good, basically a really chewey steak. It was tail meat I believe, so it was pretty fatty. Croc meat tastes a lot like fish , which I'm not really a fan of, but that's personal taste. If you ever have a chance to have a kangaroo steak, take it.
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby kiltedninja » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:07 pm

If I could find a place to fish consistently when I set up my base, I'd be stoked. I love me some fish.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:21 pm

I've had a roo burger, wasn't that bad. Years ago we spent a couple of weeks in The Big Easy and I tried a few different things made with gator meat. I'm not a big fan, but the spicy gator sausage was pretty good. The jerky.....Skip it.
The food highlight for me was the huge factory Tabasco Store. The Habanero sauce is wonderful when sprinkled on a nice big Muffalata sandwich.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 pm

I actually spent a couple days in NOLA immediately after my Australia trip. Hated every second of it. Entire city smelled like stale beer, piss, and vomit. Going down Bourbon St. at midnight was interesting, but I don't like crowds, so I'd probably never do it again.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby zbuddy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm

ConSeannery wrote:I actually spent a couple days in NOLA immediately after my Australia trip. Hated every second of it. Entire city smelled like stale beer, piss, and vomit. Going down Bourbon St. at midnight was interesting, but I don't like crowds, so I'd probably never do it again.

I feel the same way about New Orleans. It is a cool place for a day or so, but any more than that it can wear on you. Dropping in for some sugary shots of booze and music isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't ever make it my main vacation area, that's for sure.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Shelbyman82nd » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Eddiethehead wrote:I've heard good things about squirrel meat too.
Ill tell you what's good, though: Buffalo meat. Mmmmm.

Amen to that. I'm picking up 30 lbs of ground buffalo that my father in law harvested this weekend. Antelope ain't bad either, as long as it doesn't run after you shoot it. Adrenaline makes the meat super gamey. In WY and ID though, we try to shoot em' near a crick and push it in the water to cool it off real quick. Only squirrel i've had was a tasty gravy in North Carolina. I need to learn how to make it. Plenty of them around here, and it could be a gourmet survival meal...taters with squirrel gravy

Oh hell, don't forget Elk!!!
We Bury Our Mistakes -TF Recon Medics
Shelbyman82nd
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 am

I've tried bear, elk, and bison in jerky, ground patties, and nice big cutlets. I liked the bison best, but I'm not too fond of the wild game taste. Bison jerky was very tender even with very little fat. Young wild boar......I could eat that all the time.
When I was younger I spent a couple of winter months in rural North Carolina. If you wanted meat, you pretty much had to hunt. By the time I went home I was really tired of venison. Luckily they had a great winter garden that kept me happy. I love turnips, onions, kolorabi, and carrots.
I'll stick with bovine and swine until Its nescessary to eat something else. Besides, wild game is pretty pricey, especially around here.

@ Shelby
I thought if the meat ended up in the water it was ruined? I don't hunt, I just remember hearing that a couple of times.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 am

UnderDude wrote:@ Shelby
I thought if the meat ended up in the water it was ruined? I don't hunt, I just remember hearing that a couple of times.

Nah, we pull deer out of sloughs all the time, and they're much dirtier than a crick could ever be. Maybe if you left it in there for two or three days, but even overnight they're fine.

ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby Mrknot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:40 pm

There's a cool, quirky little Tex-Mex place here in P-Town that usually has a selection of exotic meats, changes all the time. I've had Roo, ostrich, alligator, (very tough), and wild boar there. I have to say though, a buffalo ribeye is perhaps my all time favorite steak!
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 pm

I wanna go back and visit Oregon again. Visited all the ghost towns and museums in the southern half of the state, had the best breakfast of my life in Brookings, river boat ride in Gold Run, and of course Crater Lake. Now I gotta check out Voodoo Doughnuts and more eats in the Portland area. Maybe that fast food place I heard about recently.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

PreviousNext

Return to Surviving on the Road