The Question of Fitness?

Just getting from one place to another, or Living a Nomadic Life Style and everything in between

Re: The Question of Fitness?

Postby UnderDude » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 pm

Let's ask Belle.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:16 am

About a month ago I was at the park with my girls. We were playing around and my 8 year old challenged me to a foot race. We ran about 75 yds and about halfway through, I realized that I might actually lose...
I poured it on and beat the pants off of her:-)
Made me realize just how out of shape I am though...
Started riding my bike to work everyday. Been a few weeks now and I'm feeling really good! I generally avoid scales, but my pants are already fitting a bit more loosely.
Going to try some backpacking with the girls this summer. My goal, physically, (beyond getting into better shape), is to be able to pack enough gear for the three of us without killing myself...they'll pack their sleeping bags and clothes, I'll hump everything else...
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:03 pm

The fiance and I are going to go look at a gym that's just down the street, rather than the one halfway across town. Hopefully that will get rid of at least one excuse to not go work out.
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby zombreach » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:09 pm

Currently, I am in PT for my shoulder. Although I hate exercise, the weight lifting part is better than the stretching. I'm thinking of continuing with the weights to try to get some "baby fat" off. ;)
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:26 pm

A little exercise is never a bad thing, I'm in a formal course right now that makes me question the fact that I ever thought I was physically fit.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby zombreach » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:52 pm

LOL--walking up hill makes me wonder about my physical fitness....
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Belle » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Kavorkian wrote:I can't relate to you people. I have the body of a Greek God....

Haha! What a cocky SOB. It's less attractive when you brag about it. I'm gonna find the least faltering picture of you and post it to humble you.

MrKnot: I'm glad you didn't let your daughters win just to win. Kids need tough love nowadays
Belle
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:53 pm

With the original topic in mind, I find that cardiovascular PT is the superior option. I'm a skinny dude, so I may be bias, but I think being able to go without stopping or being winded outweighs being able to lift/carry more in the vast majority of situations.

I should do both weight training and cardio, but I simply don't.

However, if memory serves right, Kilted will appreciate that I took up Mauy Thai again, and it has increased my core strength quite a bit. Also, I can listen to audiobooks while running on a treadmill or on a cycle :D
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm

zbuddy wrote:With the original topic in mind, I find that cardiovascular PT is the superior option. I'm a skinny dude, so I may be bias, but I think being able to go without stopping or being winded outweighs being able to lift/carry more in the vast majority of situations.

I should do both weight training and cardio, but I simply don't.

However, if memory serves right, Kilted will appreciate that I took up Mauy Thai again, and it has increased my core strength quite a bit. Also, I can listen to audiobooks while running on a treadmill or on a cycle :D

I had a kick in the ass today in the form of a six mile flak and pack run. It was only a forty or fifty pound pack, but anyone who has ever had to run with weight knows they're no fun.

Zbuddy, I'm glad to hear you're back at it. I've been working with one of my friends who's the only other guy in my platoon with formal martial arts training, we've been working a lot of drills that have their basis in Escrima. I occasionally throw out a random leg kick, knee or elbow too, just to keep him honest. I have a bad time when it goes to the ground though. He's much better at that than me. It's given me a lot of time to familiarize myself with my new karambit though.

Also, let me propose a scenario for you Z; Similar to my pt session this morning, you're on the run with all your worldly possessions on your back, and your only safe route of escape is up a ladder, wall, stack of cars, any vertical surface really. That's where being able to lift weight is important, when that weight is you and your stuff.

I spend a lot of time working on my muscular endurance as well as everything else because I'd like to know that I can go harder, faster and longer than whatever threat I'm faced with. Is that realistic? Not really, but it's a good motivation to push myself every time I work out.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:41 am

Just pushing my granddaughter in a swing has my shoulders still hurting.
I do not recommend arthritis.
My youngest son is prepping for his first cross fit competition.

Want to see some in shape men and women watch Steve Austins Broken Skull Challenge.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

PreviousNext

Return to Surviving on the Road