Morale boosters

Bug Out Bags and other equipment

Re: Morale boosters

Postby kiltedninja » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Played Backgammon with my dad a lot when I was younger.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby apocalypsepal » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Eddiethehead wrote:I've heard of people keeping little things in their big out gear that will keep them happy or take their mind off of what the current situation is, like candy, cigarettes etc...I thought this wasn't too bad of an idea. So I put in my BOB a little picture of my girlfriend and I, a picture of my family, a couple unopened cans of Copenhagen snuff.Normally I dip about 2-3 cans a week but I'm sure in a SHTF scenario I could make two cans last a looooong time. You can keep it fresh by adding a couple drops of water to the can.
Also, I've heard of books. Those would take up a bit too much space but I keep a couple books I've already read in my truck. Not in case of a SHTF scenario but just as something to pass the time if I stop somewhere in the course of the day or for something to read at school. I've heard of music players too, but I tend to stay away from electronics in my setup except for flashlights, my laptop, cell phone and chargers.
Do you guys do things like this?

The most common things that I have heard about have been
1. Bible
2. Cigarettes

I don't really have an issue with either of these because morale is subjective. Some people are comforted by vice while others are comforted by spirituality. Personally? I would probably pack along a few books -- light ones, of course. But, given that an apocalypse is likely to wipe out the majority of humanity (perhaps myself, included), I doubt there will be a shortage of books.
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal
apocalypsepal
Survivor

Postby UnderDude » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:21 pm

We have some cooking chocolate in the pantry, but I doubt I'd pack it up if we had to leave. The Bulliet Rye is definitely coming with me though.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:07 am

So, after three months into this float, I've determined that the kindle with a lot of books was genius. Being Marines aboard a Naval ship involves a lot of boredom. A deck of cards, books and music help me out a lot.
This is just me verifying that my initial plan was a good one. Might invest in a backgammon set too while I'm here in Bahrain.
Also, spices. Getting a few simple spices like onion powder, garlic powder, things of that nature would be nice, because I imagine that after a while, your food will start to taste really bland.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:12 am

The thing I liked about Acey Ducey is there is enough luck in it to keep a better player from smashing a player of lesser ability every time they play.
It would be worth getting a smaller sized set but I would not get a tiny one if you can avoid it.
A roll up would be awesome and you could use washers like in that picture.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:44 am

I agree with the need for spices. I could get away with dried onions--light weight and tasty. I like onions, or garlic, in everything.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:50 am

zombreach wrote:I agree with the need for spices. I could get away with dried onions--light weight and tasty. I like onions, or garlic, in everything.

Damn straight, best way to go! ;)
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:52 pm

ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:07 am

Plenty of spices in my supplies.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 am

When I get home I want to start growing my own veggies, herbs and stuff too. Might toy around with making beer too.
kiltedninja
Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Bug Out Gear