Why Are You Glad You Drive What You Drive?

Transportation for Land, Sea, and Air

Why Are You Glad You Drive What You Drive?

Postby UnderDude » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:43 pm

First, I have an '03 Jeep Wrangler.....
The only time I've lost traction was in town on a sharp turn going up a steep hill in heavy rain. Never had an issue in the sand, snow, or ice. It's fairly small and narrow so it goes through tight places. The rear seat is removable as well as the rear trunk area (which can be flipped over to reveal cup holders and shallow bins perfect for ammo on our desert shoots. Rear cargo area can handle 2 weeks of camping gear including rifles, pistols, and ammo or 3 people along with many rifles, pistols, and ammo to spend the entire day ahooting outdoors. Throw in a huge ice chest and it gets a little cramped back there but still managable. Decent HP and damn good torque, but gas mileage leaves much to be desired. 25 mpg would be perfect in my opinion. A full size spare is a wonderful thing to have with you and there are a ton of after market add-ons including tops and exterior racks. Both bumpers are steel, no decorative plastic garbage that costs a fortune to replace.
At nearly 70,000 miles now I've only had to replace the brake pads and tires along with normal maintenance. The rear window defroster connection came loose on one trip and 2 speakers have blown out. Ground clearance easily allows my big ass to slide under for oil changes and such with out a jack and/or jack stands.
Bottom line.....Durable, tough, decent room in the back, and not overloaded with electronic gadgets.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Why Are You Glad You Drive What You Drive?

Postby zackattack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 pm

I got my new to me '04 GMC Sierra on the 11th last month so I have not had it long enough to have problems with it other than having to replace the dash but the dealership did that and they got me new tires.

My truck is pretty simple standard cab sized it does not have 4x4 (next one will) but it does have a Vortec 4.8 in it giving me more than enough HP gets between 20 and 22 MPG which is better than my old Ranger got. On the weekend when I go Airsofting I can put my gun bag with 2 guns behind the seats and another bag with the rest of my gear goes on the passenger side. it has 180'000sh miles but has been very well takin care of.
Insanity is the reality that sanity is flawed.
Fear nothing,conquer all,never accept defeat.
zackattack
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby CavWarrior » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:55 pm

At the moment I'm still driving my 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS. Outside of normal maintenance I've not had to do anything to it.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 am

No shit? I had a '96 GSX before I bought the Jeep. That's what I drove on my road trip to NC
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby CavWarrior » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:07 pm

No shit. It's a great car. Fast and nimble. Isn't for shit on snow though.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:12 pm

I drive a 2002 4Runner.
Damn good vehicle.
I bought it used from a buddy of mine about 3 years ago. Has about 190K miles on it and is still going strong.
Not real stable on ice until I switch it into 4wd, then it's unstoppable.
Tons of room in the back for cargo, plus it will seat 5 adults comfortably.
Gas mileage sucks donkey though. 14-15mpg in the city and 16-17 on the freeway.
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Mrknot wrote:I drive a 2002 4Runner.
Damn good vehicle.
I bought it used from a buddy of mine about 3 years ago. Has about 190K miles on it and is still going strong.
Not real stable on ice until I switch it into 4wd, then it's unstoppable.
Tons of room in the back for cargo, plus it will seat 5 adults comfortably.
Gas mileage sucks donkey though. 14-15mpg in the city and 16-17 on the freeway.

DAMN! I thought the Jeep was bad on gas.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Shelbyman82nd » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 pm

My DD is a 2007 F-150 supercrew cab with 4WD. Love having a 4 door cab, I consider it necessary with a family. Gas mileage is decent because of 3.55 gearing. I get ~20mpg on average. 4WD is pretty much mandatory for the places I go in ID and WY, but the open differentials have left me wanting a few times. Once I graduate in Aug, I plan on moving up pretty quickly, though. I have already hit the limits of towing and payload, so I am moving up to a 3/4 or a 1 ton truck with a diesel. I am looking at moving to a 5.9 Cummins, 7.3 Powerstroke, or a 6.6 LBZ coded Duramax with 4 doors, 4WD, and an 8ft bed. From my limited knowledge, the trucks boast:

Dodge: Excellent engine, good transmission (manual only,) and a crap body
Ford: Good engine, good transmission (manual again,) and a good body
Chevrolet/GMC: Good engine, excellent transmission (Allison,) good body
We Bury Our Mistakes -TF Recon Medics
Shelbyman82nd
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:57 am

My cousin has the GMC model you mentioned. That's a big ass vehicle with a ton of room.
He can easily tow his ski boat or a small RV (for use as a temporary home on the weekend duck hunting trips), all their weapons, all the decoys, food and such for the group, three large dog kennels and their food as well.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Eddiethehead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:54 am

1991 Ford F-250....got a fuel injected 460 ci engine, and a 5-speed manual transmission. Pushing 500 horsepower, and can pull our biggest cattle trailer easy. The only catch? 8 miles to the gallon on a good day, with the wind to your back!
And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker."
So God made a farmer.
Eddiethehead
Hunter

Next

Return to Vehicles in the Apocalypse