Switch to full style
Transportation for Land, Sea, and Air
Post a reply

BOV- 1982 F-150. Starting from the bottom.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:17 pm

So last month I purchased a new (to me) truck...a 1982 ford f-150. It gets better mileage than my old truck, which was a 1991 ford f-250. It had a 460 efi engine and was a 4wd, my new truck has a 302 v8 (carbeurated) and it's only a 2 wheel drive. So, using what I have, I figure I can make a good *highway* BOV. It gets around 12 mpg highway and 10 in town, and can haul plenty of weight. Already, I've installed a CB radio and a better air cleaner. I'm working on making a specialized "truck bag" to throw behind the seat, as well, and I'm looking at buying a toolbox. In the toolbox I'll keep 2x five gallon gasoline cans, which I'll put in the truck and refill every month or two. I'll also keep a smaller can, to fill up my dirt bike which I will load in the back of my pickup in the event the requires me to bug out. We have other vehicles that are 4 wheel drive, like a dodge 3500 diesel, a Chevy Tahoe and my old truck, but ultimately this is the only vehicle I can call my own and modify. I'm making the best of it, and even though it's not the best, some vehicle is better than none. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: BOV- 1982 F-150. Starting from the bottom.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm

C'mon dude, you gotta show pics from beginning to end.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Get a tire plug kit and if you can find them grab a couple of CO2 cans to re-inflate the tire if nescessary.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Here's the truck:

www.imgur.com/0N6wd0R

302 engine, after I've added a few things. I'm surprised at the power it has.

www.imgur.com/KF37oWl

I put this in just last week. CB radio.

www.imgur.com/QmcCR6p

More pics to come as I add more things!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 pm

I notice you have a cassette player.
I have a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter that you can plug a cassette adapter into.
Cheap easy Bluetooth connection to your phone or other Bluetooth enabled device.
$50 for the Bluetooth adapter which does not rely on batteries since it plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks bob. And thanks Underdude.
Those are both things I'm gonna have to look into once I get some cash, I'm currently out of a job but I've been making some extra money scrapping metal.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Plug kit runs about $4.99, CO2 cans run about $20-$30 each. My tires are 33s and it takes 1.5 cans to get back to proper pressure.

My car bag contains the following. Feel free to ask why I carry certain items.....
Plug kit
Tools to fit every nut/bolt on the Jeep
Road flares
Chem lights
2 small LED flashlights (small enough to hold in my mouth while using tools)
Folding knife
Fire starting kit/petroleum soaked cotton
Map for 100 mile radius from home
Small Otis gun cleaning kit
2 day supply of food/water rations (Mainstay products)
Duct tape
Magnifying glass
Pen/pencil/paper/black and red Sharpies
Old leather belt
A pair of old stockings
Extra socks/chonies
Box of extra ammo
Compass
$30 in paper/$3 in change
I also keep a decent size FAK stuffed in between the roll bars.

I'd like to add.....
A couple of radiator leak fix tubes
Crank radio
A large knife or small machete
5 gallon fuel container (I'm thinking I'd need a rear mounted rack on the rear bumper for this. Gasoline in the passenger compartment makes me nervous)

Didn't wanna take over your thread but I wanted to give you some ideas on what you can do. Mine fits into a pretty small backpack that takes up minimal space. Your truck bed and/or mounted tool box allows you to carry a larger kit, even a shotgun and/or rifle.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 pm

I've been looking for some suggestions for things to throw in my truck bag, thanks UD. I keep my Ka-Bar under my seat for quick access in case I need to cut my seat belt or something. I keep a baseball bat behind my seat as well.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:48 am

Some advice.....
Put a baseball mitt next to your bat.

I got the bag for about $25 from CTD. I take the same size bag when I camp and I can fit 3 days worth of clothing and nearly all the other gear as well.

Forgot to mention I also keep a fire extinguisher behind one of the seats. I add a second one when we shoot out in the desert. I won't be the heel that ruined BLM land shooting for everyone else by causing a wildfire.....

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Two questions.

Why the magnifying glass, and what kind of Jeep?
Post a reply