Boats

Transportation for Land, Sea, and Air

Re: Boats

Postby Red Star » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Thank God for small favors- imagine sporting something bigger? I noticed that a lot of movies that show small countries have little boats sporting mortars of a good size. I wonder if they are really a viable weapons platform for these. Grenade launchers on the other hand seem like a better idea to me than mortars.
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby SoB » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 am

Red Star wrote:Thank God for small favors- imagine sporting something bigger? I noticed that a lot of movies that show small countries have little boats sporting mortars of a good size. I wonder if they are really a viable weapons platform for these. Grenade launchers on the other hand seem like a better idea to me than mortars.

Mortars are not really something the South African navy does. The special forces use them on there boats but they bot really use full vs other boats. You need a stabilized computer controlled mount to make full use of them vs other boats. AGLs have enough punch but not the range. A 12.7mm far out ranges a 40mm grenade launcher.

Yeah something bigger is nice but we really only rated for a 20mm and nothing stopping any body from firing 60mm pat mortars though they only have a 2km range so no real increase. And really it is more than enough for dealing with pirates.
SoB
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby thezombieguru » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 pm

You'd need one hell of a ballistics computer to be able to accurately fire a mortar from one boat to another... Your boat would constantly be rocking at random angles, constantly changing your firing solution, it would be like playing battleship with only the patrol boat
Rack City
thezombieguru
Bait

Previous

Return to Vehicles in the Apocalypse