Pics: Battle blades to short swords...

It it Cuts or Smashes talk about it here

Pics: Battle blades to short swords...

Postby Red Star » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 am

Figured to start off some pic threads of a specific nature. First section up is for anything from large combat blades up to short swords in length, including bayonets and machetes.

First up is some of mine:

1866 Chassepot rifle sabre bayonet. The last sabre type bayonet used by the French, they have a very strong yet light blade of about 22" length. The top one came with the scabbard and has been sandblasted and sharpened. The lower one came with no scabbard and has not been prettied up yet. By design the curved blade gives more impetus when slashing, they can bash through over 1" pine branches even when dull. They make for very fast weaponry of this size. To use these you would never think they were close to 150 years old.

Here they are again with an addition- a Swedish M1917 carbine bayonet. This one is made of fine steel that is very heavy and durable for its size. It is sharpened with a partial double edge to it. Considering it is almost 100 years old it is in fine untouched condition.
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Pics: Battle blades to short swords...

Postby Dragoon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:29 am

I got this one. This is my battle blade.
It is shit.
Not sharp, barely pointy. Getting rusty just by looking at it, so make sure its dripping with oil.
Not allowed to sharpen it anything either.
I'd rather duct tape a M1917 bayonet to my barrel than use this shit.
It could _maybe_ be used to poking crowds so they will stay away from you.

Just extra weight on my vest.
Grunt in the cavalry.
Expert in freezing my balls off and falling on snowshoes.

Lead should be kept in the air at anytime.
Dragoon
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Eddiethehead » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 am

You're not allowed to keep it sharp?
And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker."
So God made a farmer.
Eddiethehead
Hunter

Postby Dragoon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Apparently sharp bayonets are dangerous and therefore not politically correct. But thats okay, we are still allowed to use live ammo in combat.
Grunt in the cavalry.
Expert in freezing my balls off and falling on snowshoes.

Lead should be kept in the air at anytime.
Dragoon
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby CavWarrior » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:32 pm

I love a good bayonet. Just not the new ones that are issued. The blades are too short. I love the older ones that RS showed. Imagine one of those on the end of a good carbine like the M4 or held in your hand. One of those long blades on the end of a good rifle like a Garand would be a formidable weapon indeed. Using a bayonet properly is an art.
Last edited by CavWarrior on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 pm

RS
I like those sword length bayonets.
If I was looking to get a long blade on a budget what would be your recommendation.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 pm

I know you didn't ask me, but here's my rec:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BNPV1O ... 1&pi=SX200
Just got mine on Friday, haven't taken it outside yet, but I have no doubt it'll perform.
Amazing value for the price...Midway has them on sale right now for $40.
Awesome blade, budget price.
My $.02
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Eddiethehead » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Dragoon wrote:Apparently sharp bayonets are dangerous and therefore not politically correct. But thats okay, we are still allowed to use live ammo in combat.

Oh no! A dangerous item in a combat zone! We can't have that!
And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker."
So God made a farmer.
Eddiethehead
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Bob wrote:RS
I like those sword length bayonets.
If I was looking to get a long blade on a budget what would be your recommendation.

It can sure be a crapshoot out there Bob. Some new stuff might be made out of real hard stuff, yet not very resilient. They might break easily from impact or the edge may crack or chip at the very least. Surprisingly some pretty good stuff can come from India in the useful reproduction world out there. Expensive doesn't always mean it is good too. A lot of cost for items like that come from licensing rights or fancy embellishment. The Franklin Mint makes nice display stuff but I wouldn't use it- that's why my niece and nephew already have mine to enjoy on their walls at home. Military surplus and SOME repros of such things can be a good source. 19th century and early 20th century blades can be the best depending on their condition.

A couple of other examples:

A pair of Russian sword bayonets that I got in a trade with a friend a long time ago. They are a little bit longer and fairly heavier than the French ones, but are made of a lesser steel. They had no scabbards and my friend had replaced the wooden grips to the lower one. I had them sandblasted but they are unsharpened still at this time. Never have come across any others in my travels, never did any real searching either for more info. Scabbards make a big difference in prices for blades too, especially with matching numbers. If someone has wood, metal, and/or leatherworking skills they can make their own- that being said, they can find some good deals and make their own upgrades. Even dull blades can do serious damage, especially heavier ones- zombie skulls can break pretty easily... coconuts might be a good test, eh?

So, I will be posting some other pics later- perhaps somebody else would like to add some as well to discuss? ;)
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:35 pm

What is the purpose of the curled part that looks kind of like a coat hook?
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons