Pics: Swords...

It it Cuts or Smashes talk about it here

Pics: Swords...

Postby Red Star » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:42 pm

This section will be for swords of goodly size, basically 30" and up. Practical theory pertaining to strengths and weaknesses shall be discussed openly. Comments and observations welcomed, feel free to chime in!

So, to start things off here:

A repro swept hilt rapier(left handed, not that you can really distinguish that easily)

Something to go along with the formal fencing training I have had. A very nice blade, around 40" if I remember correctly. The basket hilt lends itself very nicely to deflecting and/or trapping other blades. Rapiers can also be sharpened for slashing attacks such as in sabre fencing. Their blades can make devastating piercing wounds in vital areas as well as incapacitating ones, wearing down opponents through blood loss quite rapidly at times. On a personal note I can attest to this, once receiving a puncture wound to a thigh from a practice foil that broke during a fencing bout. Not always a quick fight ender, at least you can keep someone away from you...

NOT FOR ZOMBIES!!! Unless you are on the fence brigade or poking at them through holes in a barricade, save this kind of stuff for the living- and not en masse!

So, who's got something else to put up? ;)
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Pics: Swords...

Postby angelicdemon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Can't figure out how to use imageshack on my phone so no picture but I do have a WWII Japanese officers katana.
angelicdemon
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:40 am

angelicdemon wrote:Can't figure out how to use imageshack on my phone so no picture but I do have a WWII Japanese officers katana.

Nice, a real one and not a cheapie from Bud K or something! Hope we can help you out with pic posting, I know I would love to see it!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby CavWarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:34 pm

This is what I have. The official US Army NCO sword. Got it when I joined the ranks of the Non-Commissioned Officer Corp. It's the real deal, not a toy or replica.

CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:21 am

Very fine blade, it appears to be a little shorter and broader than the rapier. What are the actual blade dimensions Sir?
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:19 am

My only long sword
A Chinese cavalry saber.
Most likely produced around the time of the Cultural Revolution.
It's basically a copy of a Japanese saber from the turn of the century.
31 1/2" blade.
There were a bunch of these imported into the US in the late '80's and early '90's when they went for $50-100.
The originals are kind of hard to find now but cheap stainless-steel re-pros abound...this one is high carbon.

I have kind of big hands, not Bob-sized, mind you, but big enough that the handle is just a bit tight and would be a no go with gloves.

I've never put an edge on it so it is quite dull...one of these days I'll buy a belt sander and sharpen the thing up.
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:33 am

Wow, that's a unique find! I have only seen a couple of references to the Japanese ones and some used in a Mexican adventure movie a long time ago. Wish I could see it in person as I have always wanted to since learning of them. I wouldn't take a belt sander to it though, or even go near an electric grinder. That is usually the #1 reason how blades get ruined, and who wants to wreck their blades! I used to have a buddy that hand sharpened stuff for me. Even though it is tedious and sometimes painful(he always got nicked by my Chassepot sabre bayonet) hand sharpening with stones is the best way to go. A lot of war trophies were ruined by the grinding wheel and such, it's a damn shame to see something like that done to katanas that were generations old. Another thing about doing it the wrong way- it can easily heat up the blade and ruin the temper and edge, you can almost hear them cry! :oops:
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 am

Okay, here's another one:

Known as the Wakefield sword, circa 15th century. Not quite like the original but very similar. Windlass Steel made a very fine blade with this one, a 30 inch single edge blade of considerable heft. It's handguard is sturdy while the single edge blade can be held from behind the lateral edge as support in self defense. A very sturdy blade.
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:29 am

Looks like it would be a good stabber.
Why do so many swords have what appears to be blunt points?
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:29 pm

That seems to be something from earlier designs. Lesser quality metalworks yielded the broadsword type blades that appear more rounded like that. Mainly used for your hacking and slashing, they were generally heavier blades as well to achieve better results. Areas that were more advanced in metalworking technology had better steel and techniques to harden their weaponry better. It is actually pretty interesting to see how different areas in the world approached the early arms races over the centuries.
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons