The Kukri

It it Cuts or Smashes talk about it here

The Kukri

Postby Tyler Danann » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am

A very decisive weapon for the time when ranged weaponry must make way for cold steel!

It is, in experienced hands, capable of decapitation, crushing skulls and lopping off limbs. Perfect weaponry for the zombie apocalypse.

Tyler Danann
Survivor

Re: The Kukri

Postby Tyler Danann » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am

The weapon was not only made famous by the Gurkha soldiers in the British Army but also in this:

Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby redeyes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 am

I like them. One thing about the traditional models is the rounded handle. Takes some practice to get used to. I like one with a lighter blade than most commercial copies.
redeyes
Survivor

Postby Red Star » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:37 pm

They are a good weapon, great inertia given to their slashing capability. There are actually different sizes of them, leaders had longer ones and each unit used to have one or two even bigger ones for ceremonies and such. Those big boys are pretty nasty!!! Time to look for a pic that shows the different sizes somewhere...
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Haiwayman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 pm

The kukris I believe comes in many form from knife to the size of sword or short sword. I actually prefer the greek's kopis which I think look a little bit more elegant and straighter which can be used for stabbing. Many archeologist believed that the kukri was developed from the kopis which was brought to that region by Alexander the Great. Other scholars believe that it was developed way before Alexander time frame, from the sickle instead.

This beg the question, which takes more energy to do? Stab through the eyes/mouth/ears to damage a zombie brain or slashing/cutting through the skull to damage the brain? In an apoc when you are running around and fighting zombie with a melee weapon, it could get pretty tiring. Would it be less tiring to use short quick motion to stab with a dagger or using big swinging motion to slice or crack a skull?
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby Mrknot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Having neither cleaved nor pierced many skulls in my day, I cannot offer much in the way of an authoritative answer to this. It does seem to me though that a hacking motion offers a little more strength than a stabbing one. Also, I don't think one would need to be as accurate with a hack either; if you miss, or it glances off the side of the skull, you are more than likely going to connect with something.

One of my more recent acquisitions, the Kershaw Camp 10, is kind of a kukri/bolo hybrid.
Very effective chopper, and could be kinda pokey if it needed to.
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:43 pm

:twisted:
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Red Star wrote:Image

:twisted:

I love it
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby apocalypsepal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Tyler Danann wrote:A very decisive weapon for the time when ranged weaponry must make way for cold steel!

It is, in experienced hands, capable of decapitation, crushing skulls and lopping off limbs. Perfect weaponry for the zombie apocalypse.

I have a couple kukris from Nepal. These things are so metal (pun VERY intended)
In the animal kingdom, one of the keys to survival is to outwit your enemies.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson
More Tips and Products from Apocalypse Pal
apocalypsepal
Survivor

Postby kiltedninja » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:05 am

I'm gonna get a Ka-bar kukri when I come home from this float. Anyone that knows me understands my love for the kukri since the atz days.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Next

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons