Blades!

It it Cuts or Smashes talk about it here

Re: Blades!

Postby UnderDude » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:25 am

Picked up a new knife for $30, Cold Steel G.I. Tanto. One big hunk of steel, 7 inch blade and easily removable grip panels in case you want to attach it to a stick/pole to make a spear. Gotta say the grip definitely isn't one of my favorite, I'll be adding some skateboard tape (or something like it) soon to improve handling. The plastic sheath is pretty good considering the price.
It's officially the largest most robust knife I own. Pretty damn heavy too.

Any other recommendations for a better grip surface?
Kilted?
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:16 am

https://www.mcnett.com/tactical/camoform#19550

I used this on my tomahawk among other things. If exposed to extreme heat (120+) it can get a bit tacky, but it lasts forever.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby ConSeannery » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:36 am

The guys I see on Youtube swear by ranger bands. I haven't used them myself, but I don't know why they wouldn't work.

I picked this guy up in January, https://www.topsknives.com/steel-eagle-107c, and I love it. Feels like it was made for my hand. Got it on Knifecenter for about 2/3's of that price.

Looking to pick up a new pair of knives: One for my brother for graduation, and one for my fiance because I feel like she should have one that isn't just something I upgraded from. Open to suggestions, but I want high-carbon steel with both of them. Brother's should probably be 6-9 inches (He's a big guy) and the fiance's should probably be 4-6 inches with a pretty small handle.
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby kiltedninja » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Con, as far as blades for your brother go, look at Cold Steel SRK on the smaller end, or the Recon Scout on the slightly larger side. Or any of their bowie knives for that matter.

As far as your fiancé goes, I need more details, do you want it to be a fixed blade or a folder? How small of hands are we talking here?

Also, if you're looking at fixed blade knives, you can't go wrong with Ka-bars for either of them. The larger one comes in at 7 inches or so, and the small one at about 5. I don't know for sure that it's carbon steel, but they're damn sturdy and there's a reason service members have loved them for the last 100 years or so.

Also, Field&Stream rates it in their top field knives nearly every time they do one of those. Plus they are relatively cheap.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby ConSeannery » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:03 am

I have one, and it's stainless, but it seems you can get some that aren't. Knifecenter has one in 1095 for about 80 bucks, so that may very well be at the top of the list now.

As for the fiance's, I don't have particularly large hands. I only wear a large sized glove, but I can almost completely wrap my had around her fist. I'd imagine the Ka-bar grip would be too large, but she likes the size of the grip on my SOG Fixation, which is considerably smaller. I was looking at something with a flatter handle, rather than one that rounded and swelled. I'm not sure I guess, though.
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby kiltedninja » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:18 am

The small ka-bar has a rather small handle. I had one when I was about 15 and it fit my hand well. I have rather small hands and it worked out well for me.

Otherwise you might be hard pressed to find something that meets all your criteria. It's a little on the short side, and uses cm158 steel I believe, but the Benchmade Nimravus is a good knife. I used to have one and Benchmade lives up to their reputation in that one. It's got a flatter handle.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:25 pm

kiltedninja wrote:https://www.mcnett.com/tactical/camoform#19550

I used this on my tomahawk among other things. If exposed to extreme heat (120+) it can get a bit tacky, but it lasts forever.

Hey thanks, I should've thought of that. I wrapped the pistol grip on my rifle with some and have leftovers.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:00 pm

Before I for actual pads for it I used to take little two inch wide strips of my sleeping mat and tape them under the shoulder straps of my plate carrier with that stuff. I don't have it on my current tomahawk because it makes it hard to draw from the sheath I got made for it from a guy who makes kydex holsters for pistols. But the stuff is great.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Memory failing me, which tomahawk do you have?
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:02 pm

United Cutlery M48 tomahawk.
kiltedninja
Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons