SoB
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Quest for spears

Postby Red Star » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:36 am

Hmm, maybe I need to get another life sized one for him! :idea:

Good idea SoB! :mrgreen:
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:40 pm

From a hand-to-hand combat perspective, a spear would actually be very tough to defend against wouldn't it? To the average person with no self-defense training that's a pretty tough to overcome. Not to mention the psychological aspect. Some nut coming at me with a spear would be intense.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Once you close distance the spear wielder needs to back up or do different things to employ said weapon. Practice against someone with a bo stick or a covered spear tip is good training against such instances. I used to practice with wooden swords(katana and/or wakizashi sized) against an opponent with a industrial broomstick(threaded end substituted as spear tip) and vice versa. Makes for good practice and training, even in an informal setting. Specific training would be optimum and is out there if you look for it.
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Yeah that's makes sense. I've had someone come at me with a machete but never a spear. Same idea though. Close the distance and it forces the attacker to counter or do something different.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:01 pm

Has anyone tried one of those knives that will screw onto a broom stick? I've always thought that was a pretty cool idea, but I doubt a normal broomstick would be heavy enough to not break or bend. There's a festival around here that usually attracts a few local blacksmiths, and some of them sell hand forged replica weapons, everything from axes to knives to swords. I've seen a few spears there, as well. Things can get blades close to a foot long. Attach one of them to a five foot dowel rod, and I'd imagine you'd have yourself quite the formidable weapon. There's a reason the spear was being used in one form or another from the time of mammoth hunting well into the age of gunpowder.
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby kiltedninja » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 pm

The spear has been the standard weapon of the Infantryman in pretty much every army since the beginning of time. It's effective and simple to use, If I was going to use one I'd want a more stout handle like oak or hickory though.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Previous

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons