Quest for spears

It it Cuts or Smashes talk about it here

Quest for spears

Postby #4Buck » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 pm

Continuing the theme of dispatching zombies with edged weapons, a la Walking Dead, I've always thought tha, while I probably could kill 'em by stabbing 'em in the head with my trusty Buck #119, I'd rather keep some distance between us, if possible. Hence, I've thought a lot about spears.

First I thought I should get myself a Cold Steel Bushman, carry a stout walking stick, and combine the two to make a nice spear if I ever needed one, but I never got 'round to buying the Bushman. I did try something similar, slotting the end of a heavy rake handle and inserting the butt of a throwing knife into the slot. It worked, but securing the knife in the handle with bolts proved slow and cumbersome. I never came up with a way to make the knife clip securely into place quickly.

But I think now I've assembled a great zombie sticker.

I got a straight, 46" shovel handle from Home Depot for $8.93, and a 10" long x 1/2" diameter crown bolt for $2.35. I cut off 8" of the top, rounded end of the handle. On the long part of the handle, on the end where I made the cut, I drilled a 3/8" hole 4" deep down the center of handle. I mixed up a nickle-sized dab of JB Weld and worked as much of it as far into the hole as I could, then I screwed the bolt into the hole until it bottomed-out, leaving 6" of bolt sticking out. I cut off the head of the bolt and ground it to a point. Then I took the 8" piece of handle and, from the cut end, drilled a 1/2" hole about 5 7/8" deep. I dribbled some candle wax down the hole then forced the piece onto the sharp pointed bolt, like a cap on a tube of caulk, or a sheath on a knife. It wouldn't go all the way on, of course, because the hole was just a little too tight and a little too shallow, but I just kept jamming and twisting it until worked all the way on and the two pieces of the handle met. It's a snug fit and the cap - the short piece of handle - does not fall off, you have to pull it off.

I tipped the bottom end of the handle with a steel washer held in place by a hefty wood screw, with a thick gob of JB Weld in the screw hole and between the washer and the end of the handle.

Anyway, now I have a great walking stick, a staff that's heavy enough that I'd hate to get whacked with it or, if I yank off the cap, I have a stabbing weapon with a nearly 4' reach.

It's pretty cool.
If your attack is going well, it's probably an ambush.
#4Buck
Bait

Re: Quest for spears

Postby UnderDude » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:34 pm

I've always said a short spear with a narrow head would be ideal for poking heads.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I have an old African spear to repair but it is just for show in the museum. I also have a 5 foot walking stick that is a spear of sorts. Perhaps later on I can post up pictures of them. ;)
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:50 pm

@ #4Buck
POIDH
Love to see that Z-Sticker you built.

Need to pick up or make a dedicated shaft for my Bushman.
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby SoB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:05 am

Bayonet's people. Get a long oneand there is your spear.
SoB
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Plenty of bayonets of all sizes, as indicated by other pic sections. Hell, I think I still have a few more of them to put up!

Here is my walking stick- 5 feet tall with a bamboo shaft and steel ends. The top is a weighty little skull for smashing and bashing:

The bottom is a nasty spike that can put a serious hole in a zombie head for certain!

When these were available they also had them at 6 feet as well. However, I felt that the lesser height was more manageable and stronger in the long run.
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Somebody likes skulls.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:31 pm

The skull is the vessel of the brain, and the mind. It protects our psyche, and is highly important to all creatures and beings that have them. 8-)
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby mission_survivor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:25 pm

He can also use the skulls for target practice, as well as decorative nick-knacks. :D
Most of my comments should be read with your best "BROCK SAMSON" voice. While others should be read with your best "CLINT EASTWOOD" voice. A few, and I mean a very few should be read with your best "JOE PESCI" voice.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Yes, that too. The white one is Gary Busey and the Russian vampire is Ivan. They are my pals! :mrgreen:
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons