Ballistics

A repository for informative posts, videos, and instructions

Ballistics

Postby UnderDude » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 am

These pics are of my own tests using ammo that I sell and use. Tests were in the Northern Nevada desert, fired into the soil. Top layer is loose sand, below is hard clay. It turns out it's a pretty good test media.
This is a recovered bullet fired from a Glock 23. 40S&W 135gr Nosler JHP at 1320 FPS. Impact was approx 4 feet from the muzzle.

I wanted to drive this bullet as fast as I safely could to check bullet failure. Obviously I found it. I didn't need to dig this one out, it stayed on the surface pretty much. 70% weight retention and it ended up thinner than the quarter next to it. Just a one time test.

These are all 40S&W bullets. Nosler 150gr JHP, Speer 165gr Gold Dot HP, Sierra 165gr JHP, Bullet Meister 180gr TMJ-HP, Nosler from above.
I personally like the Speer and Sierra loads. Good reliable expansion even at modest velocities.

Closeup of Nosler and Speer

These are recovered 44 Mag bullets. Sierra 300gr JSP, Hornady 240gr XTP-HP, Bullet Meister 240gr FMJ-FP
The 300gr Sierra is what I carry in the woods for bitey-scratchy critters (Bear). And NO, it's not pleasant to shoot often. I'm lucky to get through 12 rounds per session.

This is my "little" brother firing my Smith 629. I mixed in a 300gr load with some 240gr lead SWC. Yeah, he was mad, but he's the "little" brother.

The strangest thing that happened that day? I ran the same test on a 9mm 147gr Black Talon (original) fired from a Sig 226. Never recovered the bullet, it went too deep. Go figure.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Return to Library