Shoes on a Zombie

Survival in an Urban Environment

Re: Shoes on a Zombie

Postby UnderDude » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:30 am

I like cool weather, not cold. I'm completely comfortable down to about 50 before I begin feeling it.
But for me cold is much better than hot. It's much easier to warm yourself up than it is to cool down.
After all this I'm considering packing an extra pair of shoes in the kit.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:33 am

zombreach wrote:I agree--the smell would be horrible. I wonder how long it would take before you hardly noticed it. One of my co-workers picked up a dog that had been hit by a car last week. It had been dead for at least a day or two. It was in a thick body bag and as soon as she entered the building I gagged. The smell was so pungent, it wafted right through the bag. It's hard to imagine getting used to that smell, but it is said, that if you are around something long enough, the smell seems to lessen.

As for the foot discussion, I think bare feet would lose flesh pretty quickly on hard surfaces. I think bone would hold up pretty well with a regular walk, but with a shuffling gait, the bone would be sanded down pretty quickly. It's funny that these issues are never addressed in zombies movies--teeth and feet.

As a kid we came upon a guy that was dead for around 5 days, apparently hit by a train. We were gagging all day and night after that. The coroner wore the full protective suit with mask when they arrived. I think it still bothered him somewhat.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:23 am

Worst thing I ever smelled:

I worked at a veterinary clinic for a couple of years. Mostly did kenneling and bathing, but assisted in surgery every now and then.
Some folks brought their dog in one time...
Apparently the dog never came inside, was kept in a fenced backyard. Also, it seemed the dog liked to bark. Really? A barking dog? No way!!!
The Ass-clown neighbor decided he'd get the dog to shut up by dumping a pot of boiling-hot water over it's back.

Of course, because the folks didn't give their dog even a lick of affection, they didn't notice that something was wrong for about a week or so...not until the poor beast was unconcious on the back porch.

The top layer of skin was like stiff, hair encrusted rawhide. Underneath was a bloody, gooey, puss-infested mess of rotten flesh.

I literally lost my lunch when the vet anesthitised(sp?) the poor thing and started removing layers...to this day I don't know how Dr Nalley kept her gorge down through that.

Yes, off-topic, but the more I think about flayed, ground-down feet, the less likely a real zombie apocalypse seems.

Gonna have to be super-natural, healing-type zombies if we are going to have anything to worry about for the long-haul...

Otherwise, they just won't have the staying, (walking), power.
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55 am

Woe be unto the person who throws boiling water on one of my dogs.

I think the movies ignore things like wear and tear because it would incapacitate the undead to quickly.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Previous

Return to Surviving in a City