The Early Stages of the ZPAW

Survival in an Urban Environment

The Early Stages of the ZPAW

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:59 am

Keep in mind early stages of the apocalypse are going to be hell on earth.
1. The police will put you in a cage for defending yourself. (they won't believe they are zombies)
2. The gangs are going to go apeshit
3. Your neighbors are going to want your stuff.
4. The roads are going to be clogged.

What else can you think of?
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: The Early Stages of the ZPAW

Postby ConSeannery » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:25 am

Supermarkets and big box stores are going to turn into slaughterhouses. All it will take to light that powder keg is one father with dad's old service revolver deciding his kids need that loaf of bread more than the other guys, and all hell is going to break loose. It's also a possibility that gangs will move in to the area and try to claim that area for themselves, and simply shoot anyone who tries to say differently, though that one is far less likely than the original scenario. As the old adage goes, nine meals from anarchy.

I've always thought of it this way
When whatever happens happens, whether that be a meteor strike, zombies, Yellowstone, whatever, there are going to be four types of people.
People with food.
People with guns.
People with neither.
People with both.

After about two weeks, there will only be people with both, and it won't be because the people with the food talked people into giving them their guns.

I've got an uncle who does a lot of work with Red Cross and local EMS, ambulance, concert medics and whatnot, and he's always posting on Facebook about how you should have this much food and water in the event of an emergency. Well, he lives in a pretty populated area, and has but a single .22 pistol to his name, and it's always locked in a safe at the bottom of a closet, unloaded. While .22 is certainly an under rated round, all it's going to take is a neighbor with a 12 gauge pump to make sure that food isn't in that house long after it's clear the power's not coming back on.

Sadly, as prepared as he is, I doubt he'll last very long after the dead rise or whatever.

Long story short, Keep that shit to yourself. No one needs to know about what you have unless you plan on grouping up with them, or are more than willing to shoot them when the come looking for what's yours.
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:33 am

1) I figure at the point where you have to pop zed heads, you have to do everything possible to stay OUT of a cage. Unfortunately.....

2) I'm not too worried about street gangs here. I'm as well armed as they are, which is VERY RARE in this part of the world. I know how they think, there are much more profitable areas in the opposite direction.

3) I always try and drop hints to my closet neighbors about being prepared (for earthquakes of course). Hopefully that will eliminate some of the "Help me, I'm thirsty and hungry." My son comes first.

4) Most of the people around here will hit the roads. If I can't get out VERY EARLY, I'm sticking around. It's much too difficult to bug out with a little one.

This is one of the last families any raiders should come visit. Same for many of my friends here. They just need to find easier targets than members of the Team.
What worries me is fire. Some dipshit that knocks over a candle or gas lantern and starts an inferno, and no fire department to stop the spread.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Guns I have
Ammo I have
Manpower varies.
My best friend VJ currently has a problem with cancer.
My youngest son is headed back to live in the area for a while
My oldest is in Germany
My Daughter and Family is up in MoscowChuses with Red.
Maybe they can travel together.
MacAbre lives 4 hours away but he has family here.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:33 pm

To touch on something, that I think is a big factor, is the complete disbelief that people will have when/if something shitty happens. The bystander effect will consume a lot of the population.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby mission_survivor » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 pm

One of the things I think about are the municipal services. With any wide spread outbreak, these services most likely, will become compromised.

The disbelief of zombies will "quickly" be realized, but criminal elements will have the upper hand at first.

Wide spread price gouging will occur, and stores will become chaotic (think black friday sales, but with your life on the line and not a limited quantity).

It will become a war with the have's and have's not, like ConSeannery posted.

Whether it is the bystander effect, or other barriers to action, when disbelief is shifted to fear, it will be crippling.

The mentality of every-man-for-himself, never favors social order. The ZPAW or any post-apocalyptic world would be very grim.
Most of my comments should be read with your best "BROCK SAMSON" voice. While others should be read with your best "CLINT EASTWOOD" voice. A few, and I mean a very few should be read with your best "JOE PESCI" voice.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:24 pm

Good Samaritans won't last long.
Gangs will dominate for the short term at least.
Until the Gov admits it exists or collapses it is going to be very tricky to survive.
If they send men with guns to punish you then you will be punished, period.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 pm

My bug out bag is in my car, I keep a smaller "go to hell bag" under my rack, and I could split quickly on foot, my bicycle or in my car. It's really a matter of what life looks like around here when the shit meets the AC.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:25 am

Well at least you are on the "Right" coast for the time being.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:45 pm

I've got at least a few years left over here. Might stay on this coast indefinitely though. After I get out of the Marines that is.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Next

Return to Surviving in a City