Head For The Hills Y'all

Postby UnderDude » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:40 pm

I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Head For The Hills Y'all

Postby mission_survivor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 pm

RUN TO THE HILLS... run for your lives... IRON MAIDEN!

nice find UD!

The group presents its findings during the 2015 American Physical Society March Meeting, on Thursday, March 5 in San Antonio, Texas.

I hope I can check it out...
Most of my comments should be read with your best "BROCK SAMSON" voice. While others should be read with your best "CLINT EASTWOOD" voice. A few, and I mean a very few should be read with your best "JOE PESCI" voice.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 pm

:mrgreen:
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby mission_survivor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:04 pm

And shortly after the devil is infected he'll look like this

Thx RED!

The problem that the researchers are not taking into consideration, and I say this because they say "but more remote less-populated regions would have a few weeks to prepare."
They must not know any zombie preppers... I think most Zombie fans already know to get the hell out of the city. So the infection would spread just as quickly as they do. Which is why I think the country folk are not gonna be so welcoming to their new guests.
Most of my comments should be read with your best "BROCK SAMSON" voice. While others should be read with your best "CLINT EASTWOOD" voice. A few, and I mean a very few should be read with your best "JOE PESCI" voice.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm

There were a few more links but I couldn't get them to work. One was their opinion on the perfect firearms and ammo. There was also a map showing where you shouldn't be.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby mission_survivor » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:30 pm

The conference cost $685, or $350 for 1 session... Don't think I will make it after all.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:27 pm

I don't blame you.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby mission_survivor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:43 am

Thanks for the original post UD, I ended up going to it after all. I was able to get in free with a press pass granted to me by the APS (American Physical Society) as a freelance writer. I told him I have been working on a novel about zombies and if there was anyway I could be allowed in as a guest. He said he would have me added to the list. The focus session was from 8 am - 11 am, but "The Statistical Mechanics of Zombies" was only a 12 minute segment. I was a little bummed about that, but hey... it was free. There were about 8 segments, the one I was interested in was 2nd to last. But when the session first started there were less than 10 people in the room, some were the presenters. But by the time the Zombie Outbreak segment was to start, the room was packed and no longer letting people in. And as soon as it was over, the room emptied out again to a dozen or so physicists.

The zombie mechanics they used were from Shawn of the Dead, (turn rate of 30 minutes and speed of 1 foot per second), with a random infection rate of 1 per 1,000,000. And even with the slow moving zombies, a graph at 28 days later showed half the nation overrun with zombies.

The research team did not use travel of potentially infected, purposefully to limit variables. Variables they did include were bite and kill ratio of zombies. The one thing I found very interesting is that from the models data the worst place to live is in Eastern Pennsylvania. As it is in close proximity to several large cities. Made me wonder if G.A. Romero placed NotLD in Pennsylvania, only because of his residency at the time, or if he maybe ran a stochastic model, a man ahead of his time.

Some of the word usage was over my head, but I still enjoyed it.

So, thx again UD for sharing the link, that lead me to this focus session. And thanks to Alex Alemi, et. al. at Cornell Univ.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby zombreach » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:45 am

That would have been a cool lecture! Glad you found a way to get in without the high price tag being a deterrent. :)
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Right on, thanks for sharing.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Surviving in a City