Thoughts on Children in the City

Survival in an Urban Environment

Thoughts on Children in the City

Postby zbuddy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:04 pm

So I was watching a random Netflix docudrama about a prolonged Black Out in Britain and I noticed something that I have never taken into account before: kids.

Although the show depicted different view points from different characters, and their reactions during a crisis, I had never thought about how children respond, and taking care of them, in such a scenario. Having no kids I never really gave the subject any thought, but it obviously should be taken into account - even if one does not have kids themselves. So, what are your guys' thoughts on it?

What sparked my brain on this while watching the show was this: Kids are not equipped with the level of logic and reasoning that adults are, and they tend to be more trusting and naïve. For example, in the show, one person's child told strangers that their dad had a generator (spoiler alert, the people came back later and beat up the dad and took his generator). Another child kept questioning their mother during a situation where seconds count, and could've cost them their lives. Similarly, the children, although it is just a show, never kept quiet when told to during dangerous situations. I've heard horror stories from areas in Africa where kids would cry or scream/panic and therefore exposing their families location causing everyone to be killed. I could see the same thing happening in a large scale disaster as well.

Do people train their kids in how to respond during a crisis? I was never actually trained in any of that, but my dad never rose his voice to me unless it was an egregious safety issue, so on the rare occasion something happened I knew to shut up and just get to him as fast as possible. My mom, on the other hand, was always yelling about something, so I would pause if she would scream about something serious to see if it actually was serious.

Thoughts?
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Thoughts on Children in the City

Postby Haiwayman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:39 pm

With the "every kids get a trophy" mentality now a days, not sure how kids will survive an apocalypse. They are too used to getting everything they want and no consequence for acting up.
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby ConSeannery » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:15 am

Obviously without having kids myself, it's impossible to know how I would really react, but I think having children around during that type of thing would quickly turn me into a 'shoot first, ask questions later' type of person. If I even think you're about to do something to harm me, my wife or my children, I'd likely just open up and deal with it later. Stuff like this is why I think it would be imperative for children to not only trust their parents, but also respect them, and treat them with a little bit of fear. Another reason you shouldn't just be screaming at your kids night and day. Like you said, it should fucking MEAN something, not just be a sort of background noise to their life. Growing up, when mom was yelling, you just made sure she left the room before you start again. Meanwhile, my dad has a 'face' that to this day I still call the 'Options face'. 2 options: you can do it, or you can get smacked right upside the head, and then you can do it. Dad yelling actually meant something.

Also, pretty sure this post just landed me on some sort of watchlist.
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby zbuddy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:06 pm

I think that the whole 'all kids are winners, bro!' will only effect that portion of the population that actually believes in that horseshit - and the parents of those kids are likely to exit the gene pool quickly in one way or another, let alone with a serious catastrophe.

I just never thought about how a kid wouldn't know that they are endangering themselves, or their families, by casually saying things that they deem non-important. It could be a generational thing, or a regional thing, but I thought it was pretty significant. Like you said, I don't have kids, but throughout the scenarios in the show kids were fucking up, left and right, but it wasn't bad acting or writing - it seemed very organic. I can't remember a time where I have been in a check-out line at the grocery store without a little kid screaming "WHY NOT!?!?" when asked about a candy bar, I can't imagine it not being amplified with fatigue, legit hunger, and other issues pressed by a crisis environment. All it takes it just one random outburst like that, and it's good bye family 'not so disciplined kid' from this plane of existence.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Haiwayman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:16 pm

It's definitely a lot of hard work now a days. Back then when every parent have the same mentality about disciplining their kids, it wasn't so hard. You can depend on your neighbors to reinforcing what you taught your kids. Now, with CPS and parents who thinks they can use logic and reason with a toddler, you might just get arrested for just yelling at your kid or even looking at someone else's kid who is acting up. You can teach your kids at home but when they go to school and look at their knucklehead friends they will just end up acting like them. It's definitely a lot of hard work, a lot a diligence, and a lot of patients. And sometime a little swat on the derrière to drive home a lesson. That's just my experience so far. Hopefully in an apocalypse, my little boy and girl will never be left alone or allow to talk to strangers. And if there were they would have enough sense to not talk to strangers.
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby zombreach » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:28 am

I think young children of our time would be a detriment to survival during a crisis, although most parents would be willing to die for them, and would never leave them behind. Older children could be reasoned with and made to understand the necessity of being quiet. I think they would be scared into silence by what they saw around them. There would always be exceptions to the rule, but hysteria does odd things to people--adults included.

Children born into a world of crisis would be better adapted for survival. They would learn early in their life what it takes to survive...or they would die.

I remember in elementary school having to "hide" under my desk during a bomb scare drill. We were always warned to listen for sirens indicating we were under attack by some foreign nation. I'm not sure if they still have these type of drills at school, but I was born in a different generation and war was a threat we worried about then.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:20 am

War is a threat we are going to have to worry about again.
The finger of fate is poised above the reset button.

Sadly I cannot say how my children would have reacted in a crisis when they were young.
In their really young years I was working so much trying to support us that they seldom saw me.
That's one of my regrets, I tried to make up for when I changed careers and wasn't working as much.
From 9 or 10 on they would have adapted with a modicum of carrot and stick.
The boys both took to Scouting with a passion.
As most of you know they are both Eagle Scouts and they don't give that away.

As for the kids I see in line at WalMart they won't last a week.
They and their parents will never be able to maintain civilization.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 pm

When my boy came around I had to change much of our bug in/bug out plans. I'd say it's impossible to keep a child quiet up to about age 10. Beyond that I believe they can realize when mortal danger is around. Mine turns 3 in a couple of weeks and there's now way I'd want to be on the road with him.
I've already adjusted our stores twice. I added all the baby stuff I could, now we've stored toddler supplies. In a few years I'll have to change it all again.
With my health and his age it turns a tough situation into a dire one. But I think the wife's hatred of firearms would disappear rather quickly because of something like that.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:12 am

Your wife---my husband. *sigh* My husband doesn't like firearms either. Whenever I mention wanting a gun, he argues with me. He doesn't see the need for one because of our location. I know his opinion would change quickly if something happened, but then it would be too late.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:31 pm

These are some great comments. I think the little things, and minor details, will become substantial and protracted during a prolonged time of crisis. As Bob said, I think a lot of the population will, sadly, be eliminated from the gene pool fairly quickly. Criminal elements would wreck havoc in the more urban/metropolitan areas after probably a few days and just turn people waiting for the government into victims, in short order.

I also think, what Breachy said, that parents will do whatever they can for their little shitheads, making for a volatile situation. For example, if you saw a starving kid, and had a spare can of beans, the parent would be liable to try and rob/murder you for the rest. It's an uncomfortable thought, but their inability, or unwillingness, to prepare for whatever type of disaster lead them to that point, so you may have to pass on philanthropy until the lights turn back on.

I do not understand people's aversions to firearms, either. I had a 10/22 under my bed when I was in elementary school, and I didn't think much of it. I always thought of defensive firearms in the same vein as a fire extinguisher - it's something I'd rather have, and not need, than to need and not have.

UD - have you heard of 'apatite fatigue' before? When I was active duty I ran across some old cold war booklets, and I read a few of them while bored out of my skull, and it mentioned that old people and kids will 'starve' to death, even when food is present, because they don't like to eat the same thing day in and day out. Maybe having some spices, or something like that, would be prudent.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Surviving in a City