Breaking the Law to Survive

Survival in an Urban Environment

Breaking the Law to Survive

Postby Jester » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:05 pm

How do you decide when it's necessary to break the law in a ZPAW to survive? I get that there wouldn't be law enforcement in a ZPAW, but in the earliest days of an apocalypse, there would be law enforcement. Where's the line between "they can restore order" and "we've passed the point of no return?"
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everything drops to zero."
Jester
Survivor

Re: Breaking the Law to Survive

Postby zombreach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm

The laws would become nil and void when necessities, such as food and water, are no longer available by normal means. I also think when anarchy becomes the norm, there is little choice but to join in the fray. Of course, certain laws would be followed unless absolute chaos rules (i.e. murder).
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Jester » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 pm

zombreach wrote:The laws would become nil and void when necessities, such as food and water, are no longer available by normal means. I also think when anarchy becomes the norm, there is little choice but to join in the fray. Of course, certain laws would be followed unless absolute chaos rules (i.e. murder).

I've been looking at my local laws regarding how one survives in desperate circumstances. If one were to, say, break into a home and steal food, they would have to prove they believed their life to be in danger. It's similar to breaking into a business to use a phone if someone is chasing you. You'd have to prove you were not aware of any other means to satisfy your need, and that you believed the need provided a sufficient, imminent threat to your well-being.

If there was a zombie outbreak and law and order were reestablished shortly afterward, one might be held liable for any damage they caused. I personally would still act within the law until I had no other choice, and then--if I did break the law--I'd try to do so with as little damage as possible. Of course, if my life's on the line, I'll do whatever it damn well takes to survive and worry about making amends at a point when I'm not about to die.
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everything drops to zero."
Jester
Survivor

Postby zombreach » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:02 am

I agree--acting within the law until necessity forces your hand otherwise is the best course of action. Unfortunately, there will be others who will not follow this code of conduct. It has been ingrained in me not to break the law and my conscience would keep this in check unless I found my life, or those I care for, in harms way. This could mean physical harm, hunger, thirst, etc...

I know stocking up on goods would be the first order of business--as long as you are in a safe place. If this could not be accomplished by credit card (or debit), cold hard cash might be difficult to get your hands on. In this situation, I am not sure what I would do to get supplies. Hopefully, I would have the sense to stock up before this occurred.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm

A really big deal that often gets overlooked is water.
If you don't have enough bottled water what are you going to do when the taps stop running?
Our immune systems are not strong enough to drink ditch water.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:03 am

If I'm staying put I have a rain barrel in my backyard and a creek nearby which I can collect, filter and boil. A filter isn't hard to make either.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Not saying the creek is not drinkable.
However I wonder how much run off of lawn chemicals there is into it.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:13 am

Well I won't be drinking it straight from the creek. If anything I'll make a still or a filter and then boil it to be safe.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 am

A still would be a good way to go.
Make whiskey to mix with the stream water to kill the "bugs"
Distill the water to get rid of if not all contaminants I would think most of them.
I have it!
Do alternating runs of mash and plain water.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:54 am

Good thinking Bob! Stay drunk while distilling water and whiskey, and surviving the apocalypse. Perfect combo!
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Surviving in a City