Religious fanatics

Surviving the threat from other Survivors

Religious fanatics

Postby Red Star » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:47 pm

While watching a couple of Z Nation shows a couple of weeks ago(there was absolutely NOTHING on that night!), I was intrigued by something. In an episode, there was a cult of religious fanatics that thought zombies were part of a second coming. Their priest had even brainwashed people into becoming a type of suicide bomber that would obviously turn when they killed themselves. It was very surprising and allowed infiltration to a secure compound culminating into a takeover. Quite disturbing to think that some people would go to those lengths to achieve their goals- how could you trust ANYONE then?

There are a lot of other factors that could come up as well, different beliefs and thoughts by would be spiritual counselors- not just like the above analogy. Any other thoughts and opinions to add?
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Religious fanatics

Postby zombreach » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:29 pm

I think any major catastrophe would have its religious fanatics. It's the End of the World...Armageddon...or Second Coming. With enough followers, a cult could be formed.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:20 pm

I picture a lot of scenarios like the grocery store from "The Mist".
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:40 am

Oh, I remember that! Mob mentality can be whipped up real easy even in somewhat stable groups. Fear is like a sickness, once it gets rolling it is pretty hard to stop. One person then can easily steer the people on a spiritual bent that can go haywire.
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:35 am

Those are the people I would fear most. They think they are invincible because they have God on their sides, and therefore can do anything. I saw a show once (can't remember the name) where a man with a religious fervor was actually a schizophrenic that was off his medication. The people looked up to him like he was a prophet.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 am

Mind you, spiritual well being could make a big difference in an apocalyptic world. Trying to bring hope and happiness to people in the face of sheer adversity could save lives and groups. Extremism would be the game breaker though. As long as people would go by the general tenets that can help people lead a well and prosperous existence it really doesn't matter WHAT denomination or beliefs you follow. Working together and mutual respect can tip the balance in the right direction.
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 pm

I think a major catastrophe of apocalyptic proportions would make a lot of people lose their faith. ..or at least question it. Spiritual well-being doesn't have to come with belief in God--it could be as simple as belief in oneself and those around you.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Except the ones that feel they survived because they are the "righteous" and cast judgement on other survivors, blaming them for all the troubles of the world.
Like the psycho women feeding all the men to zbears in the barn.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:49 pm

zombreach wrote:I think a major catastrophe of apocalyptic proportions would make a lot of people lose their faith. ..or at least question it. Spiritual well-being doesn't have to come with belief in God--it could be as simple as belief in oneself and those around you.

Very true, which is why I don't refer to "religious" well being specifically. As for myself, I have always believed in what is right and just. Being in the middle of a holy war in my family had me look at everyone's belief systems. Mind you, it helped me better understand other cultures which was the best thing about it all. Doing what is right as well as being just and fair usually keeps problems to a minimum.

As for women feeding men to Z Bears... I need to check that out! :shock:
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 am

How does one capture a Z-Bear?
Perhaps the better question is actually why does one capture a Z-Bear?
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to The Human Threat