Lodging Safety

Surviving the threat from other Survivors

Lodging Safety

Postby UnderDude » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:49 am

A little story.....
A few years back my cousin (also a gun guy) and his wife (a gun girl) invited us to a house they were going to rent for a four day weekend. It was right on the coast, kind of secluded, and had a hot tub on the outside deck. When we arrived we of course checked out the place to make sure nobody was in the closets and such. The next thing we did most may find quite odd, we looked around for hidden cameras. Strange? Perhaps, but it puts us at ease. We do the same at motels and hotels.
The entire stay we're always armed, we even set our pistols on the edge of the hot tub when we are in it. (Both are Glocks, so we don't have to worry about them getting wet).
The house has a phone, and on the second evening the phone rang. We were checking out the cliffs about 50 yards away so the gals answered the phone. They told us about it when we got back, it was some man asking for some woman (the homeowner we believe, who never lives in the house, she only rents it out by the holiday or week). We thought is was fishy, if he had that phone number he must know the owners. Why wouldn't he call her at home, right?
That really put our guard up. My first thought was the girls answered the phone, so he might think only girls were staying there. Problem in my book. Of course the girls called us paranoid, especially when my cousin grabbed the shotgun in the truck and brought it inside. Nothing happened that night. However, the following evening a truck came down the drive and stopped by our vehicles while we were eating. There are no blinds for the large windows so anyone outside looking in could clearly see anything going on. Two scrubby looking dudes got out and walked towards the deck, we met them halfway and asked what they wanted, they seemed a little surprised and asked for the owner. Creepy right?
We told them to split and call the owners themselves but they didn't like our "attitude". Then I stepped closer and told them
"For the last time, hit the road", then we let them see the sidearms we were concealing. They split.....Quickly.
Didn't see them again.

So if you rent a vacation house or stay at a motel/hotel what do you do to stay safe and maintain your privacy?
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Lodging Safety

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:04 am

Never travel without a gun.
You should also avoid parking near dumpsters in tourist areas.
They provide a handy hiding place for the guy who wants your wallet stuffed full of vacation cash.
Dumpsters are generally put in areas that are no well lit and no one wants to park near a stinky dumpster when they are going to eat.
However even less than popular restaurants can have full parking lots during high traffic times.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Honestly, I don't do any of those things. I guess I am a bit too trusting. I will have to work on my paranoia. LOL!!

I will admit, I have thought about cameras--I have never checked for them, but I always wonder. I believe this comes from watching too many horror flicks where the lodgers are being watched. I always carry a pocket knife and I have pepper spray in my purse and a stun gun in my car--that's about as good as I get for maintaining my safety.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Please be aware if you have to park near a dumpster.
I won't say I was accosted but I was approached by a pair of "young men" who stepped from behind one.
I am not going into detail but it was in Myrtle Beach and a response of "nope don't smoke sorry" did not end the encounter.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 am

I don't think I have ever parked near a dumpster...too stinky. Women also have to be aware of parking near vans--predators wait for them to return to their cars and it's an easy slide of the door to extract her from the parking lot.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby SWAT Zombie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:29 am

zombreach wrote:I don't think I have ever parked near a dumpster...too stinky. Women also have to be aware of parking near vans--predators wait for them to return to their cars and it's an easy slide of the door to extract her from the parking lot.

Dammit!! You're on to us
I may be dead but I'm still pretty
SWAT Zombie
Hunter

Postby kiltedninja » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:32 pm

One thing I do when parking in unusual locations is always locking my car, I also carry a very bright flashlight in my pocket which could be used for lighting my way or briefly blinding any would be assailants. I also keep a knife, gun or my collapsing baton on my person at all times. A two foot steel stick that I can pull from my pocket is a handy tool.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Return to The Human Threat