Reviews of Ground Zero

Zombie Novels and Stories

Reviews of Ground Zero

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Ground Zero by Nicholas Ryan

I have been a fan of the Zombie genre since I saw Night of the Living Dead in the theater during it's first run.
I tend to be picky about Zombie books as there are so many out there that are disappointing.
I decided this book looked different and it did not disappoint me.
The author is a natural story teller and paints vivid scenes in the mind with his prose.

Within just a few pages I was hooked, this book is a page turner that will have you panting for more when it is over.
At its core this is a boy meets girl and together they take on the "undead" world.
However there are several fresh takes on the ZPAW here beginning with back story on some of the dead and undead.
It continues with a suicidal hero who isn't really suicidal but in desperate need of spiritual healing.
One of my favorite parts is a chance encounter with a "team" doing a "Di Di Mau" to their own Serenity.

It begins with a terrorist attack unleashing a rapidly spreading viral epidemic of zombies.
Our unlikely hero arises from the ashes of his former life and leads a trek to a new beginning.
Along the way he stops trying to go out in a blaze of glory while helping others and begins wanting to live.
This is largely due to a Pastor who with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other begins his spiritual healing.
Each step of the way he becomes stronger and more resilient.
While he is determined to maintain his humanity at all costs as he quickly finds out zombies are not the only risk and hard things must be done.

I thought it a novel touch that as the virus spreads more completely through a body the Zombie gets faster all the while rotting away.
While the book did not span enough time to see it happen it is made plain that the undead will slow as they decompose.
These are not super Zombies that reason and use weapons they have the usual stench and decomposed appearance.

I found the acquisition of weapons and their use to be realistic, there were no armories in the back of doughnut shops.
You won't see anyone in this book standing on top of a Humvee careening around corners at eighty miles an hour all the while mowing down the undead with a M60 in each hand that never runs out of ammunition.
Vehicles are as fragile in the book as they are in real life prone to breaking down at the most inopportune times.

I strongly recommend reading this book, you won't regret it.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Reviews of Ground Zero

Postby CavWarrior » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:20 pm

In a self published world full of dreck, this story is a gem. Nicholas Ryan puts a fresh spin on the zombie genre, giving us zombies who start out slow and then get faster as the virus takes complete hold of their bodies. But they aren't smart or super zombies. They still decay as any dead body would and that gives humanity hope for survival.

The world ends not with a bang or whimper, but with a roar as a terrorist attack unleashes the zombie apocalypse on an unsuspecting world. It spreads at an ever increasing rate, catching average citizens and governments flat footed and struggling to react to a disaster the likes of which the world has never seen and can't comprehend. Chaos soon reigns as government collapses under the undead weight and it's every person for themselves.

Cutter is just an average man carrying a terrible burden when the world ends. He's just buried his wife and son, mourning their loss and suffering survivors' guilt thinking the accident that killed them was his fault. Like most people, he's not prepared for the disaster that befalls the world. He has no food stocks, no survival skills, he hasn't ever fired a weapon. Yet rather than run from the zombies that suddenly fill the world he throws himself at them, not in an act of heroism, but in an attempt to end his own life. His redemption comes from a cancer ridden, gun toting preacher and his lithe, beautiful daughter. Cutter begins to see life anew and rather than committing suicide by zombie begins the struggle to survive. He's helped along the way by an unforgettable cast of characters who pull him out of the fire and up by his boot straps. They give him the knowledge he needs to not only survive but thrive in this new and deadly world as he guides Samantha to `Eden.'

This book is definitely recommended for fans of the genre.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Well, I finally got around to reading Ground Zero--better late than never, eh? I really enjoyed the story--it was fast paced and exciting. Having the hero meet up with Team Exodus on their way to Serenity was a great bonus!! I would have to say my main complaint was the misuse of words in the wrong form (their in place of there) and the occasional missing word (such as "to").

I do have a question...is Biltmore the true location for Serenity? If so, I need to go check it out! :D
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:34 am

It is...

I have not been to it but I understand they really put on the dog at Christmas
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby angelicdemon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:19 pm

I wasn't very active on the forum when I read this book but it is pretty good. Us gun guys can spot some mistakes here and there about the gun scenes but it shouldn't be a turn off even to a hardcore gun enthusiast. There was one scene where it seemed like he got ahead of himself and started writing the arrival of team exodus with the diner suddenly being lit up then the zombies surround the diner and after a few seconds a truck is seen screeching around a nearby corner. Maybe it was just the way I read it but that's what it seemed like. Other than the usual typos and the slightly noticeable lack of gun experience it was a pretty damn good book. I'm a picky reader especially when it comes to zombies so a book has to be damn good for me to want to finish it.
angelicdemon
Hunter

Postby addseo1115 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:33 pm

:popcorn: Glad to posts this.
I am new member.
Nice to meet you.
addseo1115
Bait

Return to Books