Fear the Walking Dead

Re: Fear the Walking Dead

Postby Bob » Sun May 01, 2016 9:59 am

Z
You must be reading the new-ish Ringo series "Black Tide Rising".
Much of it takes place on the water and has a typical John Ringo high body count.
If that is not the series you are referring to I suggest you give it a try.
I enjoyed it.

On topic
I agree it has a lot of potential.
They are showing some of the things we discussed back in the glory days of Zombie Forums.
Surviving the early part of the apocalypse.
How painful the breakdown of society really would be.
I think they have so far massively underplayed the societal breakdown especially in a large city.
Once the police militarize it will be really crazy, you will need to do everything you can to stay under their radar.
Keep in mind the old saw "Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely".

Overall I enjoy it and it is progressing about as I would have expected.
They do not have a "vetted" leader as yet.
I think they are assuming positions and there is still a general shakeout taking place.

Whom do you think the leader will wind up being?
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Mon May 02, 2016 10:06 am

Yes Bob, it is the John Ringo series I am reading. I enjoyed the first book, but the second it really dragging. Personally, I think the living character's survival rate is wayyyyy too high! There are too few people on the clearing teams that are killed by the zombies--only the zombies seem to die. It seems unrealistic. The second book is constant repetition and I don't care for the long sections on military regulations--but that's just me. I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to bother with the next book in the series.

On topic: I agree with you that the societal breakdown was underplayed. They could have done much more with it, but they mostly followed the main family around. They was a hint of how things were crumbling, but they never focused on it.

As for a leader, there are 4 possibilities:

Madison--strong female role, but fighting with difficult life decisions. I think she would try to save everyone.
Travis--strong male role, but consumed with personal family issues. I think he is too easily swayed and would buckle under true pressure.
Daniel--definitely a leader, but ruthless in his decisions. He does not play well with others and keeps a lot of secrets.
Victor--once again, definitely a leader, but he only cares about himself. He would sacrifice everyone without a second thought. I think he needs to die...LOL! (Keep in mind, I am an episode behind, so no spoilers!)

How about this--Nicholas?! He is still addicted to chemicals, but is developing important survival skills. Hopefully, he will continue to be a strong character influence in the show. I think he has a lot of potential. He is definitely a survivor!
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Tue May 03, 2016 5:51 am

That is typical of Ringo.
He is preserves his main characters and can get bogged down.
I read that series as it came out so it was not a back to back thing for me.
I have a habit of just skipping over parts that I am not interested in.
That's not just with him but with all authors, not every word they put on paper is golden.

I think you are on point with Madison there is a possibility she could evolve into the matriarch but she is in shock and wants to "do the right thing" the problem is the right thing is not what it used to be.
Travis is not mentally strong enough at this point, he needs to internalize the fact that what being a man is has changed and he needs to become harder.
Daniel is hard enough in fact is too hard I get the impression he would make an awesome number 2 or 3 but is just not suited to lead.
Victor is capable just too self serving.
Nicholas is rapidly turning into Carl I think it depends on how far down the dark path he goes.

At this point I don't think any of them have what it takes.
Who know what will come out of the forge.
At this point I am expecting Travis to step up but we will see.

I can't recall her name but the one who put them in the hurt locker chatting on the radio may come out diamond hard.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Tue May 03, 2016 6:54 pm

I believe that is Alicia and she is definitely evolving. As far as the outbreak is concerned, she was the last to know about the dangers and if not for her family, she would have died early on. She seems to understand what it takes to survive this--especially from the human point of view (i.e. raiders). I think her mistake will be her strength. Already you can see she is willing to do whatever it takes to make things right again. Hopefully she will be a strong influence in the escape from Conner and his group.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Tue May 03, 2016 7:52 pm

I have hope she will indeed evolve and not require putting down.
Its the good of the group over the good of the individual in their situation, do you agree?
She has already put her needs over the needs of the group, she need to redeem herself.
I am not saying boink the boy to buy time I would just as happy if she took him out.
Whatever happens she will be a different person when this situation resolves itself.

Have you caught up?
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Wed May 04, 2016 5:10 am

I watch the show on Mondays, so I am caught up. :D

I agree the group comes before the individual, but that is not a mind-set that is instinctual for a teenager. I can see how she was drawn to talk to the guy over the radio--even if it was a bad move. Too bad she had to let their location slip. I am not sure she has it in her to kill someone yet (another living person), but we will see.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Carl learned the hard way.
If she survives she will too.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:19 pm

I haven't watched this show. Is it worth adding to my list of must watch?
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Season 1 was ok (6 episodes?), mostly about the beginning of the whole outbreak. Season 2 things have accelerated considerably, with things being pretty gnarley on the west coast. It recently had a mid season finale (7 episodes so far?) and should be back in maybe late summer/early fall perhaps. There has been some talk of ratings problems but hopefully it will continue.

This series shows how the learning curve affects survivors right from the start. People are considered "infected" and are called that for the most part. They had a cool multi part mini view of what was happening on an airliner during a commercial break during the first and second seasons- what a predicament!
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:57 pm

On the list. Man between Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and everything else I'm trying to catch up on, I'm gonna be a couch potato for a while.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

PreviousNext

Return to Fear The Walking Dead