Zombies at night...

If It Goes Bang It Goes Here

Zombies at night...

Postby Red Star » Sun May 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Question: how would zombies appear in infrared and/or thermal vision devices or sights? I was watching someone hunting wild hogs at night using a clip on thermal sight with his scope as well. You could make them out for the most part and see the dirt road and trees. Perhaps the recording device messed with the clarity as well, not sure. Anyone know what a walker at room temperature would look like either way? Thoughts, observations and such from anyone would be cool!
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Zombies at night...

Postby UnderDude » Sun May 03, 2015 11:26 pm

They're dead so wouldn't they pretty much be the same temp as their current environment?
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zackattack » Sun May 03, 2015 11:37 pm

I think it is an interesting question I will have to get my thunking cap.
Insanity is the reality that sanity is flawed.
Fear nothing,conquer all,never accept defeat.
zackattack
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Mon May 04, 2015 6:10 am

That's what I was assuming UnderDude. I referred to "room temperature" as a general statement. That being said, they should be the same temperature as their general surroundings right? I would want to see what walls or something look like with a person next to it for comparisons too. People in threated clothing or equipment may look different too, so my mind has been tossing this around like crazy for a while now. Perhaps some of our military members can share some light on this, barring any OPSEC info that is not allowed to be discussed of course.
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Mon May 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Had an opportunity to shoot with a FLIR thermal imaging scope at a match last summer. We were shooting at a moving steel target. It was pretty hot outside and they had to keep spraying the target with a garden hose to cool it down otherwise it became "invisible" through the scope...
So, my bet is that thermal imaging would be pretty useless against Zed.
I think though that modern military night vision is not heat dependent...folks that have actually used it though would be WAY more qualified to speak to that though...
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 am

I think it would depend on the surrounding.
I would expect them to lose and absorb heat at a different rate than a boulder or a tree.
Also keep in mind the decomposition would generate some heat.

Take a look at this
http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-t ... vices.html
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Thu May 14, 2015 10:29 pm

I think zombies would be slightly warmer than room temperature (we'll say 72 degrees or so) indoors, not much better off in the outdoors. Cause movement also generates heat.

All things aside, I wouldn't prefer a thermal optic for zombie observation, I'd prefer a normal night optic. A PVS-14 and halo mount would be pretty handy. Or something better, either way I wouldn't complain about a little night vision.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Return to FireArms